Home Page

History of the School

History Overview

Early History

Roath Park School was built in 1894 and officially opened on 9th January 1895 by Mr. Lewis Williams JP, Chairman of Cardiff School Board. Mr Williams opened the school with a gold key designed by Mr Spiridion, jeweller of Duke Street, Cardiff. The school was built on a plot of land purchased from the Bute family for £2500. Architecturally the buildings are typically Victorian. The architect of the school was Mr E.W.M. Corbett and his plans were based on previous board schools already built, notably Moorland Road, Radnor Road and Saltmead School. The builder of the school was Mr. Harry Gibbons, contractor and merchant of the Steam Joinery Works, 185 Richmond Road. It was originally designed to accommodate 1256 pupils and cost £16,000 to build. 

The school originally existed as 3 schools with three Headteachers. The two storey building comprised a boys school on the top floor and a girls school on the ground floor. The infants were housed in a single storey building.



Later History

The buildings have remained largely unaltered. In 1950 it became a separate Junior Mixed and Infant School with two Headteachers. The flat roofed hall was added in the mid ‘70’s. On 1st January 1982 it became a County Primary School, with a Nursery Unit added in 1988 and Physically Handicapped Unit in 1989. The present Headteacher took up his post in April 2004.

The school serves a relatively small catchment area in the Roath Park area of Cardiff. At present there are 420 children on roll in the main school with an additional 64 in Nursery, from many different cultures and backgrounds. Approximately 60% of our children are from ethnic minority communities and speak languages other than English at home. Numbers have grown steadily since the 1986 Education Act allowed for parental choice.

Parental and Governor support is excellent. The school boasts a long tradition of community involvement.

In September 1998 Roath Park became a designated feeder school for Cardiff High School. Formerly, following the closure of Howardian High School Roath Park was a designated feeder school for Llanedeyrn High School but many children appealed to go to other Schools closer to their homes. We have close links also with St. Teilo’s Church in Wales High School.